Friday, March 07, 2008


E. Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, levelled up to the big dungeon in the sky last week, so I figured I'd post a monster drawing in his memory.
This is a design from a DnD campaign I'm running. Half of the fun of gaming for me is creating new creatures and cultures for the players to encounter. This guy is a oceanic cliff-dwelling marauder that rides five-foot wide voracious crab-steeds (hence the crab sketch on opposite page). If you need any monster/crab design inspiration, just google 'coconut crabs', they are glorious abominations of nature.

Addendum 3.10.08

Wired magazine came up with their own tribute to Gygax by having folks submit DnD-themed redesigns of their logo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet drawing. You need to give up D&D and pick up video games. Gotta get with it, dude.

samacleod said...

Man, thanks for the nightmares, I just looked up that Cocnut crab...what the heck??? Terrible.