Tuesday, August 11, 2009

HUMBLE PIE

Louis Gonzales instructed our gesture class today. He started the session off with, "All that I ask today is that you focus on angles. Forget about anatomy, forget about fingers and toes, I know you can draw em. What I want is the angles, the main idea of the pose. And proportion would be the second thing."
"You've got thirty seconds to nail the pose."
"Draw each pose twice. Try something different the second time around. Push the idea further or explore a new approach."
"I'm sorry if you came here hoping to make a pretty drawing. That's not what we're doing, today."
"Simplify."
Every time I started getting caught up in anatomy, Louis would pause and sketch a far more pushed, clear, interesting version of the pose next to my drawing. It was a healthy slice of humble pie.

7 comments:

Mr. Scribbles said...

Man! I'm sorry I missed it, but I just couldn't let me fans down. ;)

Unknown said...

those are some pretty nice figure drawings, there is a lot of energy in the gesture..very alive.

Tom Jones said...

Hey man, thanks for dropping by my blog. Love what you got going on here too - great dynamism in the life drawings!

Matt Williames said...

Walt Stanchfield lives on!

SHOo said...

Haha! I pretty much like them all... but my fav is the DINOSAUR! =)

Mark Oftedal said...

Great drawings! I love the idea of focusing on angles only while you draw. I'm going to give it a try.

Khylov said...

I take it the dino on the third page passed by the window during the session.