Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Captain's Log
Part II: Stormy Seas


That should probably read "story seas." My new animated short, Nail'd, is in the uncertain waters of the story process. Some ideas are sharpie scribbled feverishly onto napkins to capture an idea while it's fresh in my mind, others (like this fantastic layout by fellow Sacramentan and CalArtian Tyler Decker) are beautifully painted explorational work.


A few weeks ago, we had our first meeting with a possible composer. Because music will be so prevalent in Nail'd, we wanted to get our composer involved as early as possible. No more cannibalized film scores for my animated films! The goal in the upcoming months is to assemble a story reel for our composer to write the first demo tracks. Things are shaping up, and we're getting a glimpse of what lies beyond the squall...

3 days...

7 comments:

Tim Bauer said...

This must be really exciting for you! Good luck with everything, it sounds like it'll be a fun project :)

I know you're big on the fossilized past, did you see the latest?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101222/sc_livescience/cacheinchinesemountainreveals20000prehistoricfossils

Dougmian said...

Hum! I'm curious to see it! I think it will work because there are two great artists involved in it! I'm sure that you know how to tell a story, it's just see your blog and what you write!
Please, keep sharing the process!

Zane Yarbrough said...

I like the mood and color in this piece...cant wait to see more

Claire said...

Cool. What is Nail'd gonna be about?

Vi said...

Yeah, Austin, what is Nail'd about?

Darrell said...

Cool.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! I'll be posting a production update once a month, so I don't want to give too much of the story away. After all, it's a 3 minute film, so there's not much story to give!