Friday, August 12, 2011

CHADES CHALLENGE LVI: MARILYN MANTIS


You and I both know that mantids, as hemimetabolic insects, have nymph stages rather than the holometabolic pupal stage. But don't let that bug you.

I had so much fun researching Mr. Manson, that I decided to do a sketch of him in human form as well. If you haven't watched this guy in a live show, you should check it out. Much like a mantis, I could picture this guy biting his mate's head off.


In retrospect, it looks a bit more like Anthony Kiedis.

If you have any Marilyn Mantis designs, let me know and I'll post them below! As always, everyone is invited to participate. If you don't have anything this week, you're welcome to contribute to our next Character Design Challenge on August 26th. The subject will be:

STYGIAN VIETNAM

Here's a late submission for last week's challenge, Cowboys & Aliens:



7 comments:

Carrie Liao said...

haha! I love the lips on that mantis!! :D

Megan Nicole Dong said...

hahaha! He even has the prosthetic boobs! Love it.

Percy Bysshe said...

Mighty fine mantis lady - she'd liven' up any local square dance right properly - and that caterwaulin' dude's cool, too -

Mucho obligado fer dispatchin' muh stragglin' shay-deez, compadre - ah shore hopes ah dun justice t' the chayracter's many fine virtews...

Unknown said...

Carrie- thanks Carrie! Putting makeup on an insect is a bit of a challenge, there was no room for goth mascara!

Megan- it's just not Marilyn without the fake boobs.

Riley- You're welcome, feel free to contribute to future challenges!

froggie is... said...

hmmm..this was a toughie. but here's what i thought, austin. thanks for letting me play. :-)
http://greenfrographics.com/mandm.jpg

Unknown said...

Thanks for the submission, Colleen. The look on that poor bride's face is priceless! I'll post it next week along with the new submissions so everyone gets a chance to see it!

Tim Luecke said...

I guess I've made a bit of a habit of being late for these challenges...ah well, here's my submission. Enjoy!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hYwGF2y9OLE/Tk6q-JgSXRI/AAAAAAAAAFw/eiOhXJ_-6Ps/s1600/Marilyn_Mantis_stripB2.jpg